Cafe Europa-Restaurant Review

Well I was supposed to write my LOVE story today but the day got away from me!!  I still haven't learned how to use the "link up" button so these stories will just have to wait until tomorrow.

In the meantime I'm going to do a restaurant review.  Peter and I are always looking for new places to eat here in Charleston.  We have a lot of old standbys but its always fun to find something new.  We were pressed for time today and decided to go to a new Italian restaurant south of base on Dorchester.  When we got there we found that it was out of business and in it's place a new restaurant, Cafe Europa.

Cafe Europa is a Bosnian restaurant (it has to be the only Bosnian cuisine in Charleston!!).  I have to admit I was a little skeptical while looking at the menu.  I consider myself adventurous in food but only sometimes.  I am not a big meat eater and Eastern European cuisine tends to focus heavily on meats.  They offered pizzas (pulling from their Mediterranean roots) but I didn't want to eat at a Bosnian restaurant and have pizza!!

I decided to go with sarma.  According to Wikipedia (clearly the most reliable site on the Internet) sarma is a dish of minced meat, onions, rice and spices rolled in cabbage or grape leaves.  The combination is then boiled (usually in clay pots) for hours.  In Bosnia sarma is served for Christmas or special occasions like a wedding.

I have no idea if Cafe Europa's sarma was authentic or not but it was fabulous!  It was served with lepinja bread and kajmak.  The lepinja bread is a cross between pita bread and italian bread.  It is light and fluffy and I basically wanted to eat it all day long.  It was wonderful with the kajmak dipping sauce (a combination of sour cream, feta, butter and cream cheese) and then sauce left over from the sarma.

Peter had a chicken shish kebab with basmati rice that was also fabulous.  For an appetizer we shared feta feta.   It was feta cheese with a red pepper sauce, balsamic sauce and kalamata olives.  It was also served with the lepinja-score!!

I can't wait to go back to try something else!!  If you want to come along let me know!!

Tomorrow morning I promise I'll have the link-up ready for our LOVE stories!!!

Comments

Popular Posts