Homemade Chips

I worked at a fine dining (ha ha) establishment, otherwise known as Applebees, for 6 years.  It helped me pay for college and graduate school and I definitely learned a lot about myself and serving others.  You encounter all sorts of people and sometimes you just have to put on your happy face even when you have a bad day.

One of my favorite things to do at work was being the Expo.  If you haven't worked in a restaurant before this term is probably foreign.  Basically this person stands on the opposite side of the cook line, facing the cooks, and pulls the tickets together once they are ready.  It was my job to put a piece of garlic bread on each salad at 11 o'clock and the dressing at 6 o'clock.  Soup was served on a small round with a napkin and spoon.  All steaks got bread and a steak knife.  All salads got bread and a dressing, unless it was a low-fat version and then I skipped the bread.  You get the picture.  Basically you have to have every item on the menu memorized so you can match up dressings and sides and garnishes.

We garnished all of our plates with kale.  Until yesterday I had no idea that people actually consumed kale.  I thought it just made the plate look pretty and tasted very bitter.  We got our CSA box this week and the weekly green was kale.  I wasn't sure what to do with it so of course I went straight to the Internet, my cookbook of choice these days and found this yumminess.  Kale chips.  For a house that is moving towards more healthy eating this is the perfect treat!!

Kale Chips

kale
extra virgin olive oil
salt

Wash your kale and chop into "chip" size pieces.  Make sure you dry it well.  Heat your oven to 350.  Lightly coat kale with olive oil.  I sprayed my raw kale with a Misto (it is a spray bottle for olive oil) to keep it lighter.  Lightly salt.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until chips start to look brown on the tips.  Make sure you don't cook them too long though because they will burn.

How easy is that?  I swear they taste just like potato chips but they are SO super good for you!  Kale is wonderful for you and baking it this way makes it easy to get your greens!



Linking up with MizHelen

**Don't forget!!  Today is the last way to enter the giveaway for Pearls of Grace jewelry!!!

Comments

  1. We just love Kale Chips for a very healthy snack, they just look so good. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts