The Meal That Started It All

We all know I'm a self-proclaimed foodie.  I'm not sure what actually makes a person an official foodie.  But I love food and I love to cook.  And I love to help others love food and love to cook!  So by my definition I am definitely a foodie!

A couple of years ago I had a few hours to kill in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma.  Ok, more than a few hours.  I had a couple of weeks of very free time while my wonderful husband did some training for his job.  Our favorite little Midwestern town doesn't offer much in the way of entertainment and it was the middle of winter so I couldn't work on my tan.  For some reason I started watching the Food Network and I came across a chef by the name of Giada.  She was peppy, beautiful and made food that I just wanted to reach through the screen to eat!

You military folk know that kind of accommodations are available for people who are at temporary assignments.  We had a fridge, microwave and 2 small burners.  It's kind of hard to think of creative meals when you don't have a lot of cooking utensils or an oven.  But wait, Giada to the rescue!!  On this particular episode she made a vegetarian pasta that didn't require an oven.  So I braved to cold and made a trip to the commissary so I could fix a sumptuous feast for my man!

Not only did this meal start our love affair with all things Giada, I really credit it with starting my interest in food in general.  I've always liked food.  But something clicked after I started making this dish and I began to get more creative and started trying new and more interesting recipes and foods in general.  All because of a bowl of pasta!

"Giada Pasta" has become a staple in our house and I bet it will in yours too!!  It's one of those "don't need a list of ingredients or a recipe" type meals.  You should always have a couple of meals like that just in case you are in a bind!  This is healthy and it looks beautiful on the plate.

Giada Pasta

2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 to 3 minced garlic cloves
1 container cherry or grape tomatoes halved
1 small bag of pre-washed spinach
1/2 lb. spiral pasta
1/3 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese

Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and then add garlic.  Cook for about 2 minutes.  Add tomatoes and saute until they start to break down.  Saute your spinach.  Cook your pasta and slowly add it to the saute pan once the spinach has wilted.  Mix well.  Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl and stir in your cheese.  Make sure you use pecorino Romano, it really makes a difference!

It sounds simple and it is!!  But it really is fabulous!!  The colors are beautiful and you'll be surprised at the depth of flavour with so few ingredients!



I hope you love this pasta dish as much as we do!!

Don't forget to enter my Blogiversary Giveaway this week!!  You know jewelry comes a close second to food in my heart!!

Comments

  1. I am always on the lookout for new pasta recipes...will definitely have to try this one!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts