Hand Holding



I  finally experienced that moment of motherhood dread this week.  I  realized we should have started working on hand-holding months ago.  I got this panicked feeling thinking...

what if it is too late...


what if my baby never learns to hold my hand...


I'm going to be carrying around this kid for years to keep him from running off!


I don't think any of those worries are really true.  Yesterday we practiced holding hands once.  It ended in me picking him up and depositing him on the floor as soon as we got into the house.  Some fake crying and floor hugging ensued and I proceeded to continue thinking the above.

Today we practiced hand holding 2 times.  Both times resulted in me laughing at myself as I constantly praised the Little Guy over and over for being such a good hand holder.  I felt so proud!  At home we even walked up the stairs of our house and he did a great job!

I don't think I've missed the window for hand holding.  But it really prompted me to think about my role as a parent.  I've noticed the Little Guy repeating words that I say.  He looks at me for approval when he does something.  He smiles when I praise him.

I knew all of these things would happen.  But I didn't realize how quickly.  I knew parenting was a hard job.  But I didn't realize HOW hard.

The biggest legacy I can leave my family and my sons is to be a good example for them.

I love these verses about parenting...

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 ESV “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. (5) You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. (6) And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. (7) You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. (8) You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. (9) You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.


We are called to diligently teach our children TRUTH.  And the only way we can do that is if we seek TRUTH in our own lives.  I am convicted to pursue TRUTH in my life more than ever!  I encourage you to find new ways to pursue TRUTH in your lives today.

**This is my favorite picture from this week.  It isn't the best picture but I shows the Little Guy in all of his truck holding, non-hand-holding, running glory.

**Linking up with RachelCourtneyDarcy, and Jennifer

Comments

  1. Amen! Those verses in Deuteronomy are our commission and some of my faves! Hand holding is so difficult to teach, they want to be so independent! Good reminder of our relationship with God and how close we need to be ;) Visiting from Finding Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holding hands such a simple thing. Beautiful post. blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you are probably not looking for advice, but I am going to give it anyway :) I thought the same thing for a while and honestly B still wants me to carry him at times. However, I just kept working on it and when I wasn't in a hurry and he wanted me to pick him up I would give him choices.

    For example, if we were in the mall I would say, "You can keep walking and holding my hand and we will go see the fountains or I can carry you and we will go home. Which one?"

    If we were walking to the car, I would say, "You keep walking and holding my hand and I will get you a balloon when we get home or I can carry you and you won't get a balloon. Which one?"

    Some days it worked, some days it didn't, but he will hold my hand and walk 80% of the time. Now, I am starting to work on him keeping one hand on my leg or hanging from my pocket until I get everything out of the car I need or put everything in the car. This helped my sister in law a lot when she had a second child. It was a strictly enforced rule that helped prevent Isaac from running out into the parking lot when getting out of the car.

    Sorry for the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I was a sling mama for years so for a while I just wore my kiddos lol. But they did walk and hold hands, too. But now my oldest is 8 and sometimes I wish I could pick him up and carry him around...they grow so fast...hold onto them while you can. ;)

    Thanks for linking up at Family Time Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noah is three and a half years old and he still loves to be carried. We do hand-holding at the store and whatnot, because he's getting too big to ride in the cart, but even around the house, he just likes to be carried. I try to avoid getting frustrated (though it's hard sometimes) because I know he won't be little forever. And one day I won't be able to carry him. :) Your little guy is SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts