Day 3--Little Mimic

The other day we were walking along the waterfront and the Little Guy kept bumping into rocks.  He would look up and say "oh dear" and then go around the rock.  Where did he get that?

When we came home from our vacation this summer he would walk into the room and say "Hi, hower you?"  Where did he get that?

Lately all day long he will do something and then look at me and say "That funny.  Mommy, that funny."  Where did he get that?

He has also picked up little gems like "yep" and "shoot" from yours truly.

Children are sponges.  Huge, maximum absorbency sponges.  They hear everything and they remember almost all of it.  Except the part about coming when they are called and helping to pick up toys.  Somehow they never seem to hear that part.

I'm so convicted by this.  My babies hear me talk in a frustrated tone of voice.  They hear me yell at the dog.  They see my crazy face when I get annoyed.  Today I told my Little Guy he was driving me nuts.  Thankfully he is obsessed with nuts right now so I think he thought that was a good thing.  He sure didn't stop!

When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal.Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. 

These verses from James chapter 3 really illustrate how the tongue controls us!  Horses are large creatures, but they are controlled simply by putting a bit in their mouth.  I don't want the course of my life to be set on fire because I can't control my tongue.

My children teach me something new about myself everyday.  And I know they aren't the only ones watching me.  I'm continually praying that I will learn to tame my tongue!



Comments

Popular Posts