Day 30--Back For More

The Little Guy is just starting to understand consequences.  Discipline and consequences are obviously a very personal decision for parents.  You'll never find anyone that will agree with your entire strategy.  So far he has been a pretty easy little boy.  However, his newfound freedom in the "big boy bed" has led to some naptime and nighttime battles.

Tonight I was taking a bath and trying to relax.  I heard something at the door and his little face popped in.  He smile really big and said, "Hi Mama."  He then proceeded to tell me that I needed a boat in the bath.

I asked him what would happen to him since he was out of bed (an hour after he was put to bed).  He looked at me and he knew he was going to be in trouble.  Clearly he knows he shouldn't be out of bed.  He knows the consequence.  But he gets out anyway.

I wonder how often I do this to God.  How often do I know in my heart that I am doing something that I shouldn't be doing?  How often do I choose to do it anyway just because I want to?

I'd like to think the answer was never or even not very often.  But sadly I'm sure I do it way more than I think.

James 4:17 says...

Any man who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it sins.

I'm not sure that verse could be any plainer.  We know what we should do and we know what we shouldn't do.  But that sin nature, it just takes over!!

I have to admit I'm a little afraid to ask God what sins I commit over and over.  Because I know if He reveals them to me then I need to strive to keep that sin captive.  However I also know the joy of living within His plan for me.  It is rarely what I plan.  It is unknown.  It is sometimes scary.  But it is right where I need to be!

One day the Little Guy will decide to obey.  It's hard.  It's hard to do something you don't want to do.  But ultimately it is in his best interest to go to bed and stay in bed.  And just like I have his best interest in mind, I can rest tonight knowing God has mine!


Comments

  1. Great reminder! I have a 4 year old who still gets out of bed constantly at bedtime. He always has an excuse. He seems to be thirsty, need to potty, forgot vitamins, needs to wash hands,more hugs, more kisses, and our personal favorite "Did you say my name?".
    New follower!! Andyandbrittanymyers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts