Whose Are You?

Tell me about yourself.

Has anyone ever asked you that?  My most famous "tell me about yourself" had to be when my dear husband shoved the phone at me so I could talk to his father on one of our first dates.  Yes you read that right.  I learned my lesson.  I kind of hemmed and hawed and so instead of waiting for me to answer my dearest father-in-law simply inquired,

"What is your greatest spiritual truth?"

Talk about a potential deal breaker!  What if I answered wrong?  What if he wasn't impressed?  Lonely nights sitting in my living room flashed before my eyes as I gave my answer.

Thankfully I passed the test.

But too often I don't.  I don't pass the identity test.  It's an easy test.  There is only one question.  But so often my answer is wrong.

Whose are you?

You'd think that by now I'd know myself well enough to get the answer right.  And sometimes I do.  Sometimes it's easy to simply say,

Here I am Lord.  I am yours.

But usually the answer is; I am Laura.  I'm a Mama but I yelled a lot today.  I'm a blogger but not a great one.  I'm a wife but I haven't kissed my husband today.  I'm a friend but I don't have time to be one.  I'm a daughter and a grand-daughter but the time difference makes it too hard to stay in touch.  I'm a driver and I get really impatient.  I'm a woman but I hate how I look.  I'm a child of God but I keep straying.

Over and over and over.

And constantly (thank goodness) the one to whom I belong is pulling me back to him.  Gently calling me to find myself in Him.  Gently reminding me that ultimately I'm basing who I am on all the wrong things.

Success in this world is measured in dollars and pounds and readers and comments.  But God doesn't care about any of that.  He knows us by our faithfulness.  By the motives of our heart.

My word of the year this year is complete.  I have to keep reminding myself that I am complete in Him.  I do not have to be the perfect wife or mother or blogger or friend.  But I have to be able to answer the question "Whose am I?" honestly.  I want to be faithful and to be motivated by a pure heart.  Not by the desire to be successful in the world's eyes.

My prayer is that over the coming months I will get it right!

I Corinthians 4:1-5
So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God.  Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.  I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself.  My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent.  It is the Lord who judges me.  Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait til the Lord comes.  He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts.  At that time each will receive his praise from God.



Linking up with the lovely Shell

Comments

  1. What a great blog! I'm your newest fan from the Nice to Meet You {Blog Hop}!
    Monica
    http://Monicasrrr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is inspiring to read ;) a great reminder, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful for the woman you are and who you are becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing sweet Friend!! I had tears - this is so true !! Much love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard when we start judging ourselves by the way others might see us. When really, there is only one judge and we only need to be concerned with how he will judge us. And too often we forget how immense his love is.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, but your answer is SO HONEST. And sounds SO MUCH like me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow....I can really relate to this " But usually the answer is; I am Laura. I'm a Mama but I yelled a lot today. I'm a blogger but not a great one. I'm a wife but I haven't kissed my husband today. I'm a friend but I don't have time to be one. I'm a daughter and a grand-daughter but the time difference makes it too hard to stay in touch. I'm a driver and I get really impatient. I'm a woman but I hate how I look. I'm a child of God but I keep straying." amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts