Spicy Cheese Crackers



I've been experimenting lately with some of our favorite snacks.  So far these fruit snacks have been a hit and now we've moved on to cheese crackers! A friend of mine tried this recipe and after some tweaking I have a pretty yummy substitute for your store bought, aquatic shaped, cheesy cracker!

You'll need...

8 oz of sharp cheddar
4 T butter, cubed
1 cup flour
1 Tsp homemade taco seasoning
2 T cold water

Grate your cheese.  Pulse everything except the water in the food processor until it is course.  Pulse in water slowly.  Remove the dough from the processor and mold into a ball.  Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.

Roll out the dough.  The first couple of times I made this I used various small items to cut out shapes.  It was fairly time consuming.  The next time I make this I plan to roll it out and then cut it with a knife into squares.  It might not be as cute but part of my reasoning for making things at home is to be healthier in a timely and cost effective fashion.  I did NOT find cutting out tons of tiny goldfish or circles time effective!!

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.

These are SO yummy!!  The problem with making them is they disappear WAY too quickly!  I found the taco seasoning really gave them some bite.  You could use any type of seasoning that you wanted.

Here is the recipe for taco seasoning that I used (taken from Allrecipes)

1 T chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 & 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper

This will make enough for many cheese cracker recipes!

I hope you enjoy this awesome snack!

Comments

  1. Homemade crackers are wonderful. And cheese crackers are way past better. Hope you have a great weekend.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmm! I'm obsessed with cheese. I need these :) & my 9 month old will love them too!

    new follower :)
    http://www.unconventionalmommytails.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Friend Connect Blog Hop.
    Cohost @JLenniDorner
    Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These spicy crackers look so delicious! :) I would LOVE these! Also, I’d like to invite you to come link up with me at my link party! I’d love it if you could stop by & link up some of your recipes! Here's the link: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/tasty-tuesdays-16-dozen-delicious-desserts.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them and have to try them asap!
    I would love to have you share this and/or any other recipe at Wednesday Extravaganza - A Foodie Link Party. Hope to see you there :)
    http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2013/06/wednesday-extravaganza-34.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet my husband would gobble these up!!! Found on Everyday Mom's Meals :)

    We'd love to have these linked up at our: SUPER SUNDAY Link Party!
    http://whoneedsacape.com/2013/06/super-sunday-party-4/


    Lori
    Whoneedsacape.com
    Not Your Average Super Moms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love homemade crackers especially ones that are make with cheese. Thanks for stopping by and linking up to Fluster Buster's Creative Muster Party! Looking forward to seeing what you're going to link up next week.

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the thought of these spicy cheese crackers. They not only look good but I bet are delicious. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts