Are you Enthusiastic?


My children are neither enthusiastic nor committed to getting the perfect Christmas picture.  In this day and age I suppose it isn't that big of a deal.  People who want to keep up with us do via this little space or other forms of social media.  But I just can't help it.  I want my family and friends to open up that envelope from us and think...awww...just like I do when I get cards from others.  There is  something fun about all those sweet pictures and those sweet families.  They mean so much to me and I am so thankful for the people the Lord has put in our lives long ago and recently.  I love that I have to add addresses to our list each year.  Just proof of His faithfulness in blessing us with friendships!

Christmas cards has absolutely nothing to do with the quote I want to share today.  Mostly I just needed a reason to share one of the many hilarious outtakes we have.  I have over 100 pictures of one kid looking one way and the other looking at the ground.  One kid chomping on a jelly bean.  The cheese face.  Way less than perfect.  I even contemplated just sending a card with hilarious outtakes.  But then we FINALLY got that perfect shot.  Why?  Because I was committed to it.  And also probably a little bit of luck.

Enthusiasm is NOT commitment.  

We've been studying the book of Matthew both at church and at BSF this year.  The Lord has been kicking my rear each week with lots to think about.  And this quote just really struck me last week from our lecture.  Enthusiasm is NOT commitment.

What am I enthusiastic about?

What am I committed to?

Sometimes I am enthusiastically committed to something.  But often I'm just enthusiastic about it.  It's easy to chat with a friend and talk about how I am excited about a project.  Or about reading a book.  Or about spending time in the Word.  But unless I actually commit to doing something it is just empty words.  Empty promises.  It's easy to be enthusiastic.  But it takes thought and dedication and hard work to be committed.

I'm still pondering this thought and what it means for me.  I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.  What are things you know you need to move to the committed category instead of the enthusiasm category?  



Comments

Popular Posts