Sausage, Kale & Potato Soup



If you've been a reader here for long you know that I rarely make a recipe without adapting it a little myself.  This one doesn't need much changing.  The only thing I changed were some of the measurements.  Also I need a bigger pot.

Pioneer Woman's Sausage, Kale & Potato Soup
(modified slightly)

1 punch kale, cleaned and torn/cut into small pieces
8 red potatoes sliced
1 whole onion, chopped
1&1/2 pound Italian Sausage
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups whole milk
4 cups half and half
splash of heavy cream
dash of oregano
black pepper
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup water

So.  I initially made this and did a lot of stuff wrong.  The original recipe calls for 12 potatoes.  I thought mine were huge so I only used 6.  Strike 1.  I also didn't have any whole milk on hand.  Strike 2.  I picked up breakfast sausage because honestly I don't know a thing about sausage.  And I'm pretty sure the day that I decided to try this the commissary was out of ALL OTHER SAUSAGE.  Strike three.

Version one was pretty good.  Version two....oh wow!

So let's skip ahead to version two.  I used 8 pretty large potatoes.  Perfect.  I bought whole milk.  AND I used a pound and a half of Johnsonville Italian sausage instead of a pound of breakfast sausage.  Score!!

So here is how to make it!

Chop your onion.  Saute with the sausage.  While it is going slice your potatoes and boil.  Drain any excess oil from the sausage mixture.

Add milk, chicken broth, half and half, red pepper flakes to your sausage/onion mixture.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Remember when you simmer to put the top on! 

Taste your soup.  If you like how it tastes then add the potatoes, a bit of heavy cream and the kale.  Simmer for another 10-15 minutes until kale is no longer crunchy.

Eat five bowls.

Seriously.  It's so good.  I want to eat it everyday forever.  

I am always in the mood for a good soup recipe and although I am happy with the creamier version Peter likes a thicker version.

So I added 1/4 cup water & 1/4 cup corn starch to thicken it up a bit.  If you prefer not use corn starch you could always cook extra potatoes and mash them up well in the soup mixture to thicken it a bit.

I hope you love this as much as I do!!  

Comments

Popular Posts