Cinnamon Roll Cake

For a long time I was a pretty avid Pinterest pinner.  And I actually used a number of the things I pinned.  Then Reed came along and life just got busy and I kind of forgot about Pinterest.

Before Kelsey was born I signed up to bring breakfast to church on Easter morning.  I was feeling less than thrilled with the prospect of making some kind of baked good because I don't bake that often and I had a 1 week old baby.  So I turned back to my old friend Pinterest and found this super easy (because you know that's the only kind I do) made from scratch Cinnamon Roll Cake.  Yes it's a cake.  Not exactly breakfast food.  But I don't care.  It's easy and delicious!!

I found the recipe on Cookin Up North!  As usual I made minor changes.  This had a little too much butter for me to even try to follow the recipe!

For the Cake

3 cups flour
1/4 t. salt
1 cup sugar
4 t. baking powder
2 eggs
1 & 1/2 cups milk
2 t vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted

For the Swirl

1/2 cup butter, softened (recipe called for a whole cup...I just couldn't do it!)
1 cup brown sugar
2 T flour
1 T cinnamon

For the Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar
5 T milk
1 t vanilla

For the cake mix all of the ingredients together except the melted butter.  After you've mixed well stir in the melted butter slowly.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.

Mix the cinnamon swirl together.  Then pour this over the cake batter.  Take a knife and swirl it around.  A lot.  The more you swirl the prettier it gets.  Also you want to make sure you are putting your knife the whole way to the bottom of the batter if you want the swirl to be throughout the cake.  I didn't do this and my swirl was only about 1/3 of the way down.  This is what really adds the flavor to the cake so you want to make sure it is really mixed in well!

Bake the cake at 350 for 28 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

While the cake is still warm drizzle the glaze overtop.  You could also consider cutting the cake before you do the glaze so it seeps down between the pieces making it more "cinnamon roll" like.

This cake was excellent.  Peter did a taste test before we took it to church and I think he was a little sad that we couldn't eat it all!  I'm planning to make another one this week!




You can see here I've swirled a lot on top but needed to put the knife in further.


It really does look and taste like a cinnamon roll!!  Yum!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts