Curried Carrot Soup with Pork & Apple Meatballs



I consider myself an amateur foodie.  But if I'm honest I have to say that I don't enjoy veggies.  I really struggle to get in my recommended serving.  I have to trick myself by hiding veggies in my food.  Clearly none of my children are actually my children since I often find them scarfing carrots, green beans and peas for a snack!

I read about this carrot soup called Potage du Crecy on another blog and decided it was the perfect way to get my veggies in!

I put my own spin on it and added these amazing meatballs to it!  I don't know what to call it now other than delicious!  It's Whole30 and Paleo minus 1 tsp of brown sugar in the meatballs.  And they probably would have been just fine without it!

For the Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves
1 onion
2 potatoes
10-12 carrots
chicken or vegetable stock
salt
pepper
curry powder
cayenne

Dice your onion and saute in olive oil and garlic.  Dice your potatoes and carrots and add to the pan.  Cover with stock.  Usually 4 cups is enough but it certainly won't hurt if you add more.  You basically just want to make sure that the veggies are covered.

Bring to a boil and then simmer on medium for about 30 minutes with the top on.  Take the soup off of the heat and let it cool.  Transfer to a blender and blend.  Add salt, pepper, curry and cayenne to taste.  (If you are in a big rush you can add the soup to the blender while it is hot.  Just make sure you put a hand towel on the top of the blender and hold it down.  Otherwise the top of the blender will come out and hot soup will be everywhere. Trust me on this one.)

For the meatballs

1 pound ground pork
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp sage
3/4 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp rosemary
1 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 egg
1 apple peeled and grated

Mix your spices together and then mix thoroughly with your meat.  In another bowl whisk your egg.  Grate a peeled apple (I used gala) and mix with the egg and sausage.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until center of meatball is cooked.  I always bake my meatballs in a mini-muffin tin.  It helps you make them uniform and it better for you than doing it on the stove since you don't need added oil!

That's it!  So easy.  And seriously super yummy!!

Comments

Popular Posts